Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Topic 10: Tasks 1-3

I. Forms of Communication

Written:
  • Informative/Directional signs. Potential problem: if someone could not understand the language they were written in. A solution: recording the necessary information on the sign twice, once in the primary language of that country (English, in our case); and again in the second most common spoken language in that area (ex. French, in Canada.
  • Various things written by hand (ex. letters, a rarity these-days). Potential problem: illegible, messy handwriting. A solution: getting someone else with better handwriting to record what you want to say for you. (apparently that's what the Royals used to do back in the day...but probably because they were above writing their own letters, I don't know.)
  • Lists of ingredients on food products bought. Potential problem: your average Joe doing his grocery shopping doesn't understand all of those funky chemical terms. A solution: the companies making these products very well could make the extra effort to make these easier to understand. (Or, just not putting crazy, unhealthy and unnecessary additives into our food...just a thought...)
Verbal:
  • The most obvious one...spoken-word conversation. Potential problem: not speaking clearly. i.e. speaking too fast, muttering, stuttering, a strong accent the other party is unfamiliar with. A solution: speech therapy.
  • Announcements given over an intercom, or information exchanged through walkie-talkies. Potential problem: faulty electrics/equipment, background noise. A solution: if on a walkie-talkie, remember...they only have a short radius in which you'll get a clear signal. or, check the batteries. in the case of an intercom, hire your best and preferably cheapest electrician via the Yellow Pages.
  • Cellular phone communication. Potential problem: entering a poor, or no-signal zone unexpectedly. A solution: place many, many angry calls to your service provider, insisting that there is a problem with your phone and demanding assistance immediately. or, be aware of what places have signal, and what places don't. oh, and warn the person you're talking to beforehand...it's polite.
Non-verbal:
  • Hand signals. Potential problem: the other party is completely bewildered, and gets the wrong message entirely. A solution: designate certain, clear hand signals with your friends or whoever when necessary. or, keep yourself updated on the current hip ways to say things via strange hand movements. useful info!
  • Mouthing the words you wish to convey to another so as to be quiet. Potential problem: this practice is very rarely ever successful. A solution: learn telepathy, if you have a cell phone, just text them and keep your phones on silent if it's A Big Secret, don't do this period because it makes you look silly anyway.
  • Picture/symbol messages. Potential problem: misinterpretation. "Wait, the big orange hand means it's safe to cross, right...?" A solution: auditory announcements at the same time.
II. I think I generally have good communication skills. I often hear that I am "a good conversationalist". Sometimes, though, people misinterpret what I'm trying to say or what I mean, especially over the Internet and text messaging. That's why I prefer the telephone, or in-person conversing. Not only is it more personal, it is also clearer more times than not. Occasionally, if I'm trying to explain something to someone and I have a memory lapse, I'll fill in with a lot of "ummmm...."s and very, very strange hand signals. Or, if I'm not too tired to do so, metaphors and similes can generally suffice. I really don't mean to sound like an egotistical haughty intellectual by this...but the biggest problem others find whilst communicating with me is the frequency of big words and medical terms I tend to use.

III. Since Service Learning is all about volunteering and learning about different lives/careers, good, clear, understandable communication is a necessity. One cannot learn if they cannot clearly & completely receive the other party's information. I have found that, having to complete volunteer work on my own, it is very important that when looking around for accepting organisations I speak clearly and precise, that I express what it is exactly that I'm looking for in a polite manner, and that I show through body language & speech that I am interested at a volunteer opp, and grateful that I was invited to participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment