Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Topic 7 - Task 3

First of all, concerning the fields I want to pursue; your portfolio is basically your "resume". I don't write as often as I should, and it's recommended for all writers to do some writing every single day. Even if it isn't exactly "good", like muscles -- if you don't use your gift, it will begin to atrophy in a sense. I haven't ever taken any formal instruction (and in return, received constructive criticism) on creative writing (not counting school lit classes, where usually you write on a required subject) in general. I plan to definitely do this in the future, wherever they may be offered before and (of course in) college. I've heard, and noticed this myself; frequently that I am an incredibly rare empathetic, loving, and loyal individual. Once, a friend asked why I seemed to continuously put myself into dating/relationship-related situations where I am likely to get hurt (and I have, often). My answer was simple: I call myself a "dark optimist" because, while I may worry about things going wrong and try to convince myself that they (always) will...I still always, everytime, with everyone and everything hope & dream for the best. The friend replied that it was rare to find someone who loved as hard and long as I do, and that it was a good thing. I know that my empathy will aid in the success of my writing and films. Every director's (whether it's film or theatre) goal is to tell a story that will produce strong emotional reactions in their audience, themes that they can relate to. This isn't a hard one for me, as I am a very understanding person. We'll just see what happens, eh?
The other quality of mine that I believe will most definitely aid in my creative life is my attention to detail and love of metaphors/symbology. I like to dig as deep beneath the layers of whatever I'm curious about as possible, it's just the way I'm programmed to function. Over-analysation. While often a terrible curse, where else would I get my stories if I didn't look at the world with an open mind, determined to find "the meaning of it all" in everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment